"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life." – Immanuel Kant

Food for thought:

A very important man in my life recently passed away - my grandfather. He was someone I would always call just to talk about science, his time in the military, and about his inventions. He fueled my interest in robotics and computer science. His legacy will live on in me, and I intend to continue learning about science, in hopes of organizing and presenting the knowledge I acquire.

Each of us has questions that either kill our self-esteem, or empower us to grow. Some of us want to understand our purpose in life, and find love. Some want to have fun, move fast, and make things. Regardless of what defines you, we all have goals and motives. The most beautiful thing is, I believe, that we all have an ability and opportunity to learn. We can learn about what drives us through reading, writing, thinking, and engaging with others. As I continue through my Computational Biology PhD, this blog will serve as a way for me to continue learning about this life, in such a way to make it more organized, in hopes of obtaining wisdom. Through mentoring younger students, and learning from my mentors, I hope to share some tips that I have found useful. I intend to raise questions and introduce topics of interest to me within the contexts of research and life. I look forward to comments and please remember, your voice matters. If you have something to say, create your platform and say it. You will surely help someone, yourself included.

A couple of challenges:

  • Give yourself 5 minutes minimum of self-reflection time each morning before you get out of bed. Better yet - get Headspace
  • Rank your priorities, and when you feel inundated, say no to the last thing in your priority list.
    • Remember - the etymology of the word "priority" tells us that this word was meant to only encompass one thing, one priority.
  • Set up a meeting (Skype/phone/in person) with a person doing something you find interesting. At the end, ask, "This was extremely insightful, is there anyone else you recommend that I talk to?".
  • Give yourself a reason to smile. "It is not God's will merely that we should be happy, but that we should make ourselves happy." – Immanuel Kant

A good book:

"Usefulness of Useless Knowledge".

P.S.

I really enjoy reading philosophy, and Kant is one of my favorite philosophers, so I thought I would start off this blog with a few of his quotes.

Comments

Popular Posts